Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sept 11

So tomorrow marks seven years since the twin towers fell. It makes me feel a little strange. I have heard nothing about it from anyone or anything. It's a election year and in all the hype about who and what's coming next I think we have forgotten about what came before. Sept. 11th was the day America was ATTACKED by terrorists and the reason that a war started. This is not a small thing and is not something that should be ignored or played down. Many many good innocent people died that day and to suddenly forget is just wrong. I don't really care how busy you are or what you have going on you should take at least a few minutes and remember what happened on that day and how it has changed our nation. It makes me think of two years ago when I was only a few hours outside of Washington D.C. on the fifth anniversary of the attack. I was hit really hard with the reality of it all. When you see flags in the capital of our nation flying at half mass it's different than when your neighbors flag flying at half mass. I felt connected to the people that died that day and to their families. I promised on that day that even though I didn't know any of them I would never forget them and I intend to keep that promise. I wish it had never happened, but if my kids ask me about it one day I want to be able to tell them the story because I remember. I want to be able to tell them from the bottom of my heart how I felt that day. I don't want it to be some mechanical retelling of a tragedy that took place once that doesn't matter anymore. I want to always remember. Not so that I can be sad forever, or to be better than anyone, but simply to honor the fallen and their families. God bless them all and I promise I will never forget. God help me to NEVER forget!

No comments: